Using API Key
An Application Programming Interface (API) key is a code used to identify and authenticate an application or user with the API itself. API keys are generally used for assisting users with obtaining information on their gains and losses when submitting their tax return.
There are services that offer gains and losses reporting using API key, these include koinly.io, coinledger.io, cryptotaxcalculator.io and ACCOINTING.com.
- Creating a Tax Report with CoinLedger
- Creating a Tax Report with CryptoTaxCalculator
- Creating a Tax Report with Koinly
Before setting up an API key, it is required to have App Based 2FA enabled. If you do not have App Based 2FA enabled, please have a read of our How to setup 2FA article.
How to set up API
1. Select My Account Menu(1) > API(2).
Figure 1. API Set Up - My Account Menu (API)
2. Select ‘Generate New API Key’.
Figure 2. API Set Up - (Generating API Key)
3. Enter your API Key Name(1) (Your choice of name) > Select API Key Type as Read Only(2) > Enter your 2FA token(3) > Select Create API Key(4).
✭ Optional: If App Based 2FA is enabled, users can request for SMS 2FA by selecting 'send the code via SMS’.
If you are receiving a wrong token error message, please have a read of our 2FA token not working article.
Please Note, when setting up API key it is very important to only set the ‘API Key Type’ as READ ONLY access to third parties and not FULL ACCESS.
Figure 3. API Set Up - (Entering API Key Details)
4. Check your email inbox for the email to confirm setting up API key and click on the following link. The email link will need to be opened within the same web browser.
Figure 4. API Set Up - (Email Confirmation)
5. Tap on ‘View Secret (One Time Only)’ to reveal your Secret Key.
If you have lost access to your Secret Key, you can remove your API Key by selecting ‘Delete API Key’ and generate a new API Key.
Figure 5. API Set Up - (Viewing Secret Key)
6. Congratulations, you successfully set up API for your CoinSpot account! Your preferred record keeping website will request for your API Key and Secret Key, copy and paste this.
Please note, once you exit the API Page, your secret key will disappear as it is only viewable once. We recommend you to save this or generate a new API/Secret Key.
Figure 6. API Set Up - (Secret Key Example)
Need more help?
Please submit your request via Zendesk - https://coinspot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
or start a conversation with us via Live Chat and our team will provide full instructions and advice.